News


Read more

Ottawa Sun - Care worker sex assault charges stayed

(2011-07-26)

A personal care worker left “destitute, devastated and unemployable” by sexual assault allegations last summer was vindicated Thursday after the Crown stayed charges against him.

Jean Adler Pierre, 49, was charged with two counts of sexual assault after a 39-year-old patient alleged he’d been inappropriately touched on consecutive days in July 2010.

Pierre had been tasked with putting a condom catheter on the man, who has since died, during the course of his duties at Bruyere Continuing Care’s Saint-Vincent Hospital.

“He is a hardworking person who did his job,” defence lawyer Dominic Lamb said. “His life has been forever changed by the allegations that were made against him.” There was nothing to corroborate the allegations made by the patient, who suffered from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis — Lou Gherig’s disease.

Pierre spent nearly three weeks in custody after he was initially denied bail. He was finally released, but under terms that prevented him from going back to work or “seeking employment with vulnerable persons.” Lamb said it highlighted the “shortcomings” of the bail system.

Even after the man — who has no criminal record — was finally released after a bail review, his release was “only on the most onerous of terms,” Lamb said, “in this case leaving a man destitute, devastated and unemployable.” The man hopes to return to work in his chosen field, he said.

Hospital officials declined to comment on whether Pierre might be reinstated, saying they are still awaiting information from the Crown prosecutor.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/07/25/care-worker-sex-assault-charges-stayed

 
Archive Search
 
Limit News by: